Cheri gives excellent instructions. I am terrible at sewing and I figured it out. I borrowed my mom's sewing machine, grabbed some of my son's outgrown shirts and went to town. I have to admit it took me at least one and a half hours to make this. In my defense, I had to change a bobbin and deal with my almost 2 year-old son at the same time. I didn't take pictures of it step-by-step because you can go to Cheri's page and get all that.
I couldn't get the flaps right and I only used one layer of fabric. I ended up cutting the flaps off of the second (brown) hat. The red hat is one I hand-sewed before I went and borrowed the sewing machine. I have to say I was impressed with myself, meaning it actually looked like a hat. Except the ear flaps are really wrong, I plan on cutting those off too. I'm gonna try making more hats soon. I think I'll use some of Jax's old fleece baby blankets to line a few. I have a really cute monkey pattern blankie that would be adorable.
Sorry the photos are not the best, my son didn't wan to cooperate. Anyway, here they are:
|As you can see, the flaps are WAY too small.|
|I used a thinner t-shirt material and it is a wee bit too tight.|
|I used a thicker knit for this one.|
|I hand-stiched a pawprint cut from the same shirt.|
They are not even close to Cheri's original, but hey, I do not pretend to be a seamstress. I do think that with a little practice I can do a better job.