recent posts

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quick and Easy Apple Crisp

So, I had a bag of apples in my crisper drawer.  They had been in there for over a month and we kept forgetting they were in there.  I decided to get them out, cut them open and see if they had gone soft.  They hadn't!  Yay!  I pulled out my Kindle Fire (love that gadget!) and Googled low-fat apple crisp recipe.  After sifting through TONS of recipes, I decided to make up my own.  Yeah, dangerous, I know.  Here's what I came up with:

Filling
7 cups peeled apples, thinly sliced (if you want more fiber, by all means, leave the peeling on)
2 Tbs whole wheat flour
2 Tsp cinnamon (you can use allspice, clove, nutmeg, whatever you like)
1/3 cup sugar (or your favorite substitute)

Topping
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar (or your favorite substitute)
1 Tbs whole wheat flour
1/4 cup butter (or substitute), cut into small peices
1 Tsp cinnamon

For filling, mix flour, cinnamon and sugar; then toss with apple slices.  Put filling into a 2-quart baking dish.

For topping, mix dry ingredients; then cut butter into dry ingredients using a pastry blender, fork or two knives.

Sprinkle topping over apples and bake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees.

This makes approximately 6 servings with 350 calories and 8.5 grams of fat.

It smelled SO good while it was cooking and was yummy.  I upped the fat content by making fresh whip cream using heavy cream, vanilla and a little bit of sugar.

Before topping is added.


With topping (forgot to get picture after it browned).

So, do you have a favorite apple crisp recipe?  Share it in the comments or if you make this recipe, let me know how it turned out.

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment